Friday, January 20, 2017

Personal Best

The blackfish bite has become tough over the past few days. This is typical of late January as the fish become less active due to falling water temperatures. Thursday started with a big swell on the ocean, not good for blackfishing. We tried to get a bite going on the rocks, but it never happened. A move to a wreck produced a sluggish cold water bite and pair of fish in the ten pound class were boated. I shot a white crab to the bottom and had a bite like I remembered like a kid, a slow, rolling, thumping bite, like a cod. When I set the hook, the drag peeled like freespool, and everyone was asking what I had. "Some thing big, some thing very big, get the captain" was the reply and the biggest blackfish I have ever landed weighed 14lbs. 2ozs. at the dock.

No comments:

Post a Comment